Program & Replace Car Remotes
The charges of a locksmith for the programming of a key fob tend to vary based on the location, complexity of the lock, and nature of the key.
How much does it cost to program a key fob?
Answer: Key fobs are typically programmed by a locksmith. The cost for programming a key fob typically ranges from $55 to $400.
- Key fobs, otherwise known as a remote fobs, are conventional for most automobiles these days. Car keys come with an added remote fob with buttons that can lock and unlock the vehicle from the outside and the trunk or back hatch. Key fobs were designed for convenience, making it faster to open all of the vehicle’s doors at once. It is beneficial in bad weather or unsafe areas.
- What is not convenient is the annoyance of having your key fob reprogrammed. If your key fob gets misplaced, damaged, or the battery dies, you’ll need the help of a trained expert. And that comes at a price. You have two options: go to the original car dealership, or go to an automotive locksmith.
- Which is the Better Choice – Locksmith or Dealer?
- It depends on the situation. If you locked your keys in your car, a locksmith would be the best option. If you need a new key fob for your car, a dealer would be the better choice.
- Do you want to save money? If you’re going to pay less for key fob programming, you’ll want to skip the dealership and visit a locksmith. A locksmith offers lower prices as well as other advantages over the dealership.
- Call an Automotive Locksmith and Save Money
While it does cost less to utilize the services of a locksmith, you may still be wondering about pricing. How much does a locksmith charge to program a key fob? The price can range anywhere from $50 to $200. The actual price depends on a few different factors, such as:
- Type of key fob. If the key fob includes a transponder key or keyless ignition, it could cost more to reprogram than a simple key fob. Transponder keys include computer chips that have to be in place for the car to start. Trying to reprogram an old key fob from a different vehicle may not work in your current vehicle if a computer chip is required.
- Make and model your car. Some manufacturers make it more challenging to reprogram a key fob. While that is great from a security standpoint, it’s not so great when you have to replace or reprogram the key fob as it drives up the cost.
- What is the average cost of locksmith services in your area? Locksmiths must stay competitive with each other to stay in business. The price in one state or city may vary depending on the typical cost of key fob programming services. You’ll still save money with a locksmith over the local dealership, regardless of your geographic location.
- When You Might Need Your Key Fob Programmed
There are a few different situations that may result in the need for key fob programming. These situations entail:
- You have lost the key fob. If you lose your key fob, one way to save money is to have an old key fob reprogrammed to work with your current vehicle. You can sometimes do this depending on the complexity of your car and the key fob. You can also order generic key fobs that a locksmith can program to use with most makes and models of vehicles.
- It has a broken key fob. If your key fob gets broken or stops working for any reason, it may need to be reprogrammed. This also can happen if your keys have been dropped in water or some other accident occurs. Key fobs can be fixed and reprogrammed but may need replacing if the damage is too significant.
- The battery is dead in your key fob. If the battery completely dies in your key fob, replacing the batter alone may not be enough. A dead battery can cause the key fob to lose its memory, resulting in reprogramming once a locksmith had installed a new battery.
- Job Done Locksmith Can Program your Key Fob for Less
- If you encounter any problems with your key fob, save money by visiting an automotive locksmith. Job Done Locksmith specializes in automotive lock and key services for virtually every brand and model of vehicle. We can reprogram your key fob for less than dealership prices.
Related Article: How much does a locksmith cost?